Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2011

Last year the big race was off just after 4pm local time, which made it a lot easier than previous years, when it was the last meaningful race on the card and everybody used to leave at the same time, leading to a panicky scramble for buses and taxis outside. I haven't heard what they're planning this year.

I missed all of this chat a few days ago, the Arc will be the third last race on the card this year with both the Foret and Cadran on after the Arc. Would expect a 4ish off time for the Arc again.

Concur with the advice regarding CDG to Longchamp, the airport bus to Porte Maillot and then the free shuttle bus to the track is the best way. Don't even think about getting the RER into central Paris and then making your way out, the RER is horrible, smelly, dire and takes forever. Orly is probably a better airport to fly to/from as it's a short bus journey from the end of the metro.

I'm staying near Gare Du Nord in the Canal Saint Martin district from Friday until Monday and would happily meet up with folk over the weekend.

Baraan missed the race by the way and won't race until next year now.

We stay in La Defense everytime we're in Paris - easy to get to from Longchamp and plenty of restaurants and shops around, gets busy on a Monday and Les Quatre Temps is probably the biggest maze in the world.

Having said that staying Issy-Les-Moulineaux for next trip in a week or so's time but it looks fairly easy to walk to the BDB racecourses from there - will let you know exactly how easy when I've done it though NN.

Martin
ps. If you do get the Metro then careful of your fingers as they seem to have adapted the guillotine to fit onto tram/train doors in Paris.

I have churned this race over in my mind and I can only see one winner now. Meandre. We all know Fabre's record is second to none in this race and I'd imagine this fellow is improving hand over fist at the moment. He was ridden with supreme confidence in the French Derby to beat my idea of a Leger winner, Seville. Meandre won't lack for stamina, is owned by an old school French racing family and has the right trainer for the job. This Sunday will tell a lot but I won't be too worried if he doesn't win, in fact I'm not expecting him to win but run a good solid race and look around the course will do nicely!

how can you fancy Seville for the Leger?

As per my St Leger thread quote:

Seville will be revved up for this one by Aidan, not to say that he hasn't been revved up before but I think he has one last big run in him and AOB will have him spot on for this. There is a NH sire career at stake here so I expect him to go very close!

The Grand Prix de Paris was an awful race. There is no substance whatsover to Meandre's form. All people are doing is backing the trainer. And whilst he's a genius he's also trained plenty of also-rans in this race.

The most depth to his form of any horse in the race. Second in Irish Derby and GP de Paris is better form than anything else.

Is it balls. The Irish Derby was chronic. The winner flopped next time out and had to go to America to win another race against yer typical listed class Yankee turf plodders. Secretariat must be spinning in his grave to have such a shithole of a race named after him.

Last edited:
Is it balls. The Irish Derby was chronic. The winner flopped next time out and had to go to America to win another race against yer typical listed class Yankee turf plodders. Secretariat must be spinning in his grave to have such a shithole of a race named after him.

:) ...strong opinions are a great thing. But Seville has a nice way about him, he's been knocking on the door and the Leger may coax a concert pitch performance from him. Having said this if WoW lines up as well it could suggest they are less than confident.

The Grand Prix de Paris was an awful race. There is no substance whatsover to Meandre's form. All people are doing is backing the trainer. And whilst he's a genius he's also trained plenty of also-rans in this race.

I was impressed with how he picked off the leader in the last furlong. He has a turn of foot better than most in the Arc field. I think we'll see something special in the Arc from Meandre.

A nice slow way about him.

Slow...schmo! I'd prefer him at the prices at the moment. Sure why bother having another crack off Sea Moon? AOB has stated that things were against him the last day in Voltigeur..if the ground is genuinely good or better,he'll put it up to the fav.

I added Testosterone to my portfolio at 410 on Betfair a few days ago - she has decent form with the highly talented dual open age/sex Group 1 winner Danedream from their Saint-Cloud running a few months back and is in the latest declarations for the Prix Vermeille this weekend. Fillies have a tremendous record in the Arc (better place record though) and with the Vermeille cutting up a big run their will surely convince them to let her take her chance in the Arc.

Danedream I believe is also a candidate though will wait until she's supplemented before I get my hard earned out on her, the race looks fairly open this year and having already backed Meandre at this stage I'd be happy to let Workforce go unbacked particularly given the way he hung at Ascot, has been beaten in two of his starts this year and there's be no word on him of late which would leave Sarafina as my only loser of the horses I can see winning the race.

Martin

Would you want to take 8/1? I doubt it.

I'm waiting to see if WoW lines up first. If she runs I'd probably prefer to take a position at a much bigger price on her than on Seville. Although this is in the context of me having 7/1 on the favourite. Had I not had a bet at this point I'd be tempted by Seville at around 10/1 and may still be looking at a place bet on him.

I think we're straying across threads now though.

Last edited:
I think the Arc will stay in France, and that a 3yo will win it, Meandre or Galikova.

One of the things I like about Meandre is that his Grand Prix de Paris win did not come out of the blue, he had been flagged up on here (can't remember by who, was it Gamla Stan?) as a serious dark horse beforehand. If Pour Moi was still around we would have been discussing which of them was the stable's first choice. Baraan would have been a contender too, he was the best horse in the Prix Du Jockey Club, so I'm sorry to hear he's not running.

On the other hand this has been a vintage year for 3yo fillies, especially in France, where they have won some of the open group races this year, which doesn't happen often, and Galikova is the best of them at middle distances.

The top of the market looks a bit false to me. So You Think, Sarafina and Workforce all look worth taking on.

I think the Arc will stay in France, and that a 3yo will win it, Meandre or Galikova.

One of the things I like about Meandre is that his Grand Prix de Paris win did not come out of the blue, he had been flagged up on here (can't remember by who, was it Gamla Stan?) as a serious dark horse beforehand. If Pour Moi was still around we would have been discussing which of them was the stable's first choice. Baraan would have been a contender too, he was the best horse in the Prix Du Jockey Club, so I'm sorry to hear he's not running.

On the other hand this has been a vintage year for 3yo fillies, especially in France, where they have won some of the open group races this year, which doesn't happen often, and Galikova is the best of them at middle distances.

I agree entirely with this, I mentioned him for the GP De Paris but some of the lads on OH Racing (Warbler on here) had spotted him well before me.

I think Meandre and Galikova could well be the front two in the betting after the weekend.

Through this line, you must think this batch of three year olds are dire? The French Derby form was represented in the GP De Paris and Meandre put that aside with ease. He couldn't have done it any better and his performances on the clock (Rail Link was treated with similar contempt by many for his win in this race) was top top class. He should be favourite for the race for me.

Can't understand Workforce, Nathaniel or Sarafina's prices at all.

Will need some help/advice tomorrow if that's ok? We're travelling by train Friday, back Monday. Staying near to the racecourse [I hope]. Were going to sight see on the Saturday but I've decided a 'trial run' would be better, so we know exactly what we're doing on the Sunday. Was going to back Meandre before Pour Moi pulled out, so I'm a bit annoyed with myself; not having any bets over there.

It's an absolute doddle moehat, wouldn't need a trial run but Longchamp is lovely when it's quiet on the Saturday and always a good card on too.

Feel free to drop me a PM. Will happily meet you if you want a guide to the track!

Through this line, you must think this batch of three year olds are dire? The French Derby form was represented in the GP De Paris and Meandre put that aside with ease. He couldn't have done it any better and his performances on the clock (Rail Link was treated with similar contempt by many for his win in this race) was top top class. He should be favourite for the race for me.

Can't understand Workforce, Nathaniel or Sarafina's prices at all.

And what substance is there to the French Derby form? Zilch.

I think Meandre may not line up in the Arc - just watched the GP de Paris again and i suspect the Ballydoyle horses went too fast and set it up for the Fabre horse. Treasure Beach clearly below his both Derby runs that day.

I have seen people go on about the Fabre connection - couldnt agree he is in better hands. Only thing is Fabre didnt think him exceptional prior to GP de Paris and this isnt a man who confuses his geese from his swans.

Sarafina and Workforce are clear for me on form. Vadamar the dark horse in the Niel.

Back