Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2011

That's a shame.

Dubai World Cup winner Victoire Pisa is out of the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.
The Japanese ace was found to have a leg problem following a workout as part of his preparation for the Longchamp showpiece on October 2.
The four-year-old, trained by Katsuhiko Sumii, was already in France and he will return home for further examination of the injury.
After that, connections will make a decision on the horse's future.
"On August 13 after training, they noticed that the movement in his left leg was a bit restricted and a vet discovered it was inflamed and that the horse should take it easy for five weeks," read a statement from the Japan Racing Association.
"Because of that, they have decided to pull out of the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe."
Victoire Pisa was seventh in last year's Arc and has not run since winning the world's richest race at Meydan in March.

Did you back him each way, Steve?

Yes (although I don't often back e.w. ante post)... I could have waited and backed him at bigger odds though. Disappointing that he couldn't beat the mare he has already beaten three times. You wouldn't be brimming with confidence that he'll take the Arc on that performance. However, they hadn't done anything with him since the Gold Cup until they decided to prep him for the Arc and he probably needed it.

He looks like going for the Irish Leger next, so we'll see...

Last edited:
I had a small few quid at over 100/1 on Betfair after Saturdays race.One of the people I respect the most in Irish racing said they eased right off on him after Ascot and he is lazy at home.Six weeks to the race -I wouldn't be too disappointed.

I had a small few quid at over 100/1 on Betfair after Saturdays race.One of the people I respect the most in Irish racing said they eased right off on him after Ascot and he is lazy at home.Six weeks to the race -I wouldn't be too disappointed.

I think Hills is the biggest on the high street at 33s at the moment, although he is trading at 16/1 elsewhere.

I'll average out at above 25s and leave it at that for now.

In my view yes, being almost double the price he was 24 hrs ago & now 17 to Lay
That, together with the 3rd/4th/5th favs being cut by the bookies, would make me very nervous if I was a Pour Moi. Thank fully I’m not, being neck deep into Workforce at a shorter price that he is now

Cornelius Lysaght who is responsible for the most boring Twitter page of all time tweets that:

"Hearing there will be announcement about Derby winner Pour Moi's future tomorrow; seems he is out of Arc & future racing career in doubt"

A real shame if true but happy as a Meandre backer.

SNA still trading at 28 on Betfair. I really can't understand how he cannot be aimed at the race now. He has a cracking chance if the ground is soft and we get a fast pace.

what a pity cirrus Des Aigles is not allowed to run in the Arc because he is a gelding, he looks top class.

He's a very good consistent horse, but he has never won on faster ground than good. Would he have a chance of getting his ground in those big international races in Singapore and Hong Kong?

He's ran at the HK International meeting for the past two years Grey - 7th last year in the Cup and 5th the year before in the Vase.

the champion stakes is for him to take, he is a 130 or better and unless Frankel changes to the Champion he should beat horses like Twice Over for sure.

Cirrus Des Aigles is a very very good horse, but he's certainly not "top class" in the same sense of the word as some of the other horses near the top of the Arc betting or in the same context of past winners. He's never won at the highest level for a start.

It is a bit daft that geldings can't run in the race though.

Cirrus is better than 130 and in the form he is now he is a danger to everyhorse in Europe bar Frankel.

Have to agree with Suny. Cirrus Des Aigle's last two performances were those of an improving horse and he will be difficult to beat over 10-12f.

I may have dreamt it, but was there a thread here about going to the Arc? I can't find it.

In the absence of a thread, can anyone offer any advice as I'm thinking of going. How much time would one need to leave on either side of the races? That's to say, is this doable in one day or is that too much of a rush?

Any advice about any aspect of the day, including where to stay, would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Do you mean doable in one day from Ireland, Nora? I would say that it is, but it would be a long day.

The red-eye flight at 06.25 with Ryanair from Dublin and a 21.35 return from Charles de Gaulle with Aer Lingus would be feasible. Last year the big race was off just after 4pm local time, which made it a lot easier than previous years, when it was the last meaningful race on the card and everybody used to leave at the same time, leading to a panicky scramble for buses and taxis outside. I haven't heard what they're planning this year.

If you flew out instead on Saturday morning you could get in both days and be that bit more relaxed. The choice of where to stay would depend on what you want to do with your Saturday night. If you fancy going out on the town then anywhere in central Paris would suit. The course is not that far out, allow about an hour. The alternative is to stay in Puteaux or La Defense, which are that bit closer but also that bit quieter.

Do you mean doable in one day from Ireland, Nora? I would say that it is, but it would be a long day.

The red-eye flight at 06.25 with Ryanair from Dublin and a 21.35 return from Charles de Gaulle with Aer Lingus would be feasible. Last year the big race was off just after 4pm local time, which made it a lot easier than previous years, when it was the last meaningful race on the card and everybody used to leave at the same time, leading to a panicky scramble for buses and taxis outside. I haven't heard what they're planning this year.

If you flew out instead on Saturday morning you could get in both days and be that bit more relaxed. The choice of where to stay would depend on what you want to do with your Saturday night. If you fancy going out on the town then anywhere in central Paris would suit. The course is not that far out, allow about an hour. The alternative is to stay in Puteaux or La Defense, which are that bit closer but also that bit quieter.

Yes, a one dayer but from Belfast would be easier. I've looked at flights. I just was wondering how long you'd need to leave to make it to and from the airport in a relaxed manner!
Probably looking at going over on Saturday and back on Sunday but I'd hate to have a stressful will we/won't we make the plane type experience on Sunday evening.
As for accomodation, quiet is fine!!! Many thanks for all the info.

A taxi to CDG from Longchamp would cost about €70 and take about an hour. The alternative is to get on of the free buses up to Porte Maillot and an airport coach from there for about €12. Three or four people in a taxi would be a good option.

That 21.50 flight to Belfast should not pose a problem.

A taxi to CDG from Longchamp would cost about €70 and take about an hour. The alternative is to get on of the free buses up to Porte Maillot and an airport coach from there for about €12. Three or four people in a taxi would be a good option.

That 21.50 flight to Belfast should not pose a problem.

Excellent. I've been trying to see what time the Arc is due off at, but haven't been able to find it. My French isn't great, but I don't see any time. I'm hoping it's similar to last year. Many thanks for your help and I won't clog up the thread any longer.

Back