The Road to the 2012 2000 Guineas

Nice trial win despite being tenderly ridden and still ten points higher than a Brian Meehan colt who was placed in an awful looking Dewhurst. Yes please.

Looks like FF is likely to come to Newmarket. Trainer saying the straight mile will play to his strengths more than Longchamp.

Pretty much given up hope on Nephrite. Drifted like a barge. Significant support for Akeed Mofeed today. I like him a lot.

Perhaps everyone has realised nephrite is a a doubtful stayer.

not sure french fifteen will take to the track unless the word soft is in the going.

it looks a very open race to me at the moment.

i liked the look of top offer after his debut win but having the rest of the season of is a bit of a negative I wouldnt entertain backing him unless they get a run into him and it would have to be a fairly good one.

French Fifteen wins with Abtaal second. Neither given a particularly aggressive ride and I think you'd have to take a positive view of both. I'd backed both of them for the guineas in advance with Abtaal being my bigger winner.

The three French colts French Fifteen, Abtaal and Hermival all put in good performances in the Prix Djebel. FF is of course already a Group 1 winner and while they set a good standard in that race I don't see them as world beaters. Then again without the likes of Dabirsim, Harbour Watch and possibly Camelot, they might not need to be. They all look much of a muchness without Camelot.

With Parish Hall we at least know he is being trained for the Guineas, but whatever he does at a mile he is likely to improve on at middle distances.

Last edited:
Mount Helicon was a Montjeu x Kingmambo nick & won a three mile hurdle at Cork on heavy ground whilst the mother barely got a mile for Barry Hills.

Now, Camelot is hardly the smallest looking horse and Montjeu's top 20 milers have never won over a mile at 3.

Having said that, I agree he's going to run but it wouldn't be a wise decision.

I too believe that he'll improve for middle distances, but a Guineas bid is far from forlorn (particularly in a weakish looking renewal). David J made a good comment earlier about the commercial aspect of race placing. I'd expect to see Montjeu's winning over a mile at three in the coming couple of seasons, not least because many will now be aimed at such races. 8 furlong-winning sons of Montjeu will be highly prized for the breeding shed.

Last edited:
From the RP site:

Harbour Watch unlikely for 2,000 Guineas bid

BY PAUL EACOTT 11:09AM 8 APR 2012

THE slim hopes that Harbour Watch will make the line-up for the Qipco 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket on May 5 appear to be diminishing rapidly with connections all but ruling him out of the race.

The Richard Hannon-trained Harbour Watch was a general second-favourite forthe first Classic of the season over the winter despite his two-year-old campaign being curtailed by an injury in his preparation for last season's Dewhurst Stakes.
Connections had been hoping to get Harbour Watch, who was unbeaten inthree starts last season culminating in the Richmond Stakes, back in time to run in the Guineas but they have admitted that that is now unlikely.

Richard Hannon jnr, assistant to his father said: "I think it is safe to say now that he is not going to make the 2,000 Guineas.

"We will look for something later in the season for him. He could go for the Irish Guineas or to Royal Ascot for the St James's Palace Stakes which would give us an extra couple of weeks."

Hannon did however have better news about Qipco 1,000 Guineas hope Best Terms. The winner of last season's Lowther Stakes was last seen when finishing down the field when sent off favourite for the Cheveley Park Stakes and she is in line to make her seasonal return at Newbury in the Group 3 Dubai Duty Free Stakes on April 21.

Hannon last won the race, better known as the Fred Darling Stakes, in 2006 with Nasheej and the assistant trainer said: "We will probably go to Newbury for the Fred Darling with her.

"She has done very well over the winter and she did a bit of work two or three weeks ago under Hughsie and was excellent."

Best Terms, the winner of four of her starts last season is no bigger than 25-1 for the May 6 Classic.

Out of interest, what price is Parish Hall? He's being quietly spoken up.

ETA: What makes you lot so sure Camelot goes for the Guineas over the Dante?

Parish Hall's pedigree screams Derby almost as much as Camelot's. 20/1 is very fair for Epsom.

Last edited:
Parish Hall's pedigree screams Derby almost as much as Camelot's. 20/1 is very fair for Epsom.

In fact if anything a little more stamina than Camelot. PH's dam sire is Montjeu.

I backed PH for the Derby on the day of the Dewhurst.

Tales Of Grimm is the one I've got my eye on as a dark horse for the Guineas.

Last edited:
Tales Of Grimm is the one I've got my eye on as a dark horse for the Guineas.

Interesting contender,

The Nile & Firdaws were very much talking horses from the big yards last season and he put them away comfortably.

Things have been quiet on the Stoute front recently & you know what they say about no news...

What price is he for the 2000 Guineas anyway?

Last edited:
Tales of Grimm sounds interesting to me too, although I'd be with Camelot ifhe turns up. With Harbour Watch and now Akeed Mofeed out, some of the preliminary interest in the race for me has eased, possibly because I haven't got excited about either Most Improved's or Top Offer's chances. The Greenham and the Craven, however, are bound to change the scene considerably.

Questions: Is Power too far behind to run/do himself justice in the Guineas?
Does Born To Sea (Oxx's remaining challenger) have what it takes to win?
Looking forward to some answers on 5th May.

Probably far more likely to run in the Poulains, but Dabirsim and Dragon Pulse are in the Prix de Fontainebleu at Longchamp later today. Fabre has an interesting maiden winner in there too - Historic Find, out of a full sister to Dubai Millennium

Probably far more likely to run in the Poulains, but Dabirsim and Dragon Pulse are in the Prix de Fontainebleu at Longchamp later today. Fabre has an interesting maiden winner in there too - Historic Find, out of a full sister to Dubai Millennium

Looks a decent early season event. Dragon Pulse has moved from Harrington to Delzangles, who also has Hermival in the mix to point at a classic.

Back