What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a look and as usual didn't bother. Yet another humdrum Saturday this Flat season. The day of the Sussex was the last time I got up in the morning and thought yes, proper good racing today.

Thanks

Like to follow top jump trainers when they run a horse in a flat staying handicap

Nice one PlaceBacker

Goodwood 3:20 Karam Albaari 20/1 e/way -- no word on this horse but I think he looks a value e/way bet in this 8 runner field. Not discraced in a Group 2 and the Group 1 Racing Post Trophy last year, he may surprise if he's trained on. On pedigree he's bred to be a better 3yo (Sire and Dam's Sire won Group 1's as 3yo's). I can only think he's such a big price because of who he's trained by and worth risking a small e/way imo.

Dermot McLoughlin thinks Sadlers Mark will run well today in the 5:30 at The Curragh. I have had a nibble at 14/1 EW

I don't like the favourite Worldly Wise in the first at Galway. He is a decent horse on the flat but is 0 from 11 over jumps. Given that he has never won beyond 9f on the flat I wouldn't have thought Galway, with its very stiff finish, would be the place to break that particular duck. Were it not for the owner, would they have persisted with him over hurdles for this long?

Shadow Eile might be the best alternative, assuming she takes to hurdles. She has good quality bumper form, very good in fact. There were a lot of respected horses in behind when she got slammed by Samain (no disgrace there) at the Curragh in a winners bumper. She flopped next time in the big one at Punchestown but if we forgive her that she must have a decent chance today.

Last edited:
I don't like the favourite Worldly Wise in the first at Galway. He is a decent horse on the flat but is 0 from 11 over jumps. Given that he has never won beyond 9f on the flat I wouldn't have thought Galway, with its very stiff finish, would be the place to break that particular duck. Were it not for the owner, would they have persisted with him over hurdles for this long?

Shadow Eile might be the best alternative, assuming she takes to hurdles. She has good quality bumper form, very good in fact. There were a lot of respected horses in behind when she got slammed by Samain (no disgrace there) at the Curragh in a winners bumper. She flopped next time in the big one at Punchestown but if we forgive her that she must have a decent chance today.

Top man Grey :)

Thanks, she was backed from 9/2 into 5/2 in the last few minutes before the off, so connections must be very happy. The favourite got taken out at the second last but I don't think he would have been able to overhaul the winner.

Great stuff Grey - looked a useful mare there, certainly for this time of the year anyway despite the luck at the second last :)

Hats off to you again Mr Grey!! I missed it - would have lumped on as you are on fire now for quite sometime! All college fees sorted I'd imagine!!

Cartmel 2:20 Seedless – been told that a big run is expected

Cartmel 4.05 –“ Kilvergan Boy seemed to be going like a winner until making a hash of the 5th last just four days ago here and should make amends over a trip half a mile shorter. Clearly in good from, he should be capable of beating his three rivals provided he doesn't make a similar error in jumping.”

Cartmel4.40 – “Bankstair too should have a very good chance of winning here. Since winning a couple of races last term at Fontwell over 2m 2f, he has gone up somewhat in the ratings but has also seemed to improve with chasing experience. Arguably still well in against these rivals, he could well have enough to come out on top.”

Bangor 5:45 Anna’s Arch – “A high class individual who should give a good account of himself this season.”

29Aug11 3:55 She Spirit Di Su WARWICK (Four Day), British Stallion Studs Supporting British Racing E B F Maiden Stakes Div 1
"There's a race at Warwick next Monday that may be her target. She is very good out the gates and may take some pegging back around there."

29Aug11 4:30 Everlong WARWICK (Four Day), British Stallion Studs Supporting British Racing E B F Maiden Stakes Div 2
"I though her first run was good and we will run her next Monday at Warwick. I would be disappointed if she is beaten. She has an entry in the Fillies Mile at Newmarket next month."

29Aug11 6:10 Cadore WARWICK (Four Day), Stratford Handicap
"He is in great form and will be ready to go any day, when I expect a big run."

4.35 Bangor-Tin Pot Man

1pt Win @ 5-2 [Boylesports] & 3pts Place @ Betfair Sp

Impressive speed figure when 3rd the other day

5.35 Carlisle-Uncle Bryn

Win @ 10/3 [Boylesports] & Place @ Betfair Sp

Bit of a "job" horse this

Bath
15.00 Dove Cottage
15.30 Shout for Joy
16.00 Only You Maggie
16.30 Till Dawn
17.00 Emiratesdotcom

just messing around.

Dr Tommy, best price currently 4/1, looks a possibility in the last at Clonmel this evening. He has respectable bumper form this summer. He finished in front of Maller Tree at Killarney, a horse that has won since and had been in the frame several times beforehand. Dr Tommy has himself won since, at Kilbeggan, in a race where he beat a wandering Flycorn. That horse too has consistent form in bumpers.

The horses ahead of him in the betting are opposable. In A Nutshell has been second four times in a row and has been a short-priced favourite for the last three of them. I doubt he will enjoy tonight's faster ground either.

Peaks Of Fire ran only a few days ago at Downpatrick, and the RPRs for that race look to be about 10lbs too high. Even if I'm wrong about that, there is still a good chance that Dr Tommy is better than him.

The one that I'd be afraid of is Prince Chapparal. Maybe they've been able to improve his jumping during his time off since May. If he could fully translate his flat ability to hurdling he would be better than these, and he also has the advantage of being a year older than the rest of the field.

I have put the pair into a small reverse forecast just in case, but provided he jumps ok Dr Tommy has a good chance of taking this.

I backed Cat Fire (Clonmel 5.45) on her first two runs of the year off a mark of 85. She looked very unlucky when stopped three times in the straight in Dundalk and was 4th when ridden like a non stayer at Tipperary. I abandoned her on her last five starts but today under first time blinkers and down 10lb in the handicap I have to give her one more go. I am off the opinion she needs to be ridden more prominetly and hopefully that and the blinkers will get out the ability that is certainly there.

Anybody got any opinions on Russian War in the 250 at Newton Abbot.On the face of it the Aintree/Ayr winner ridden by Paul Carberry looks a good thing.
My worry would be that he might need a strongly run race which he is far from certain to get today.In every race that he has won he has traded at a bigger pricein running.
I'm off work after some dental treatment and I can see
myself having a decent lay to back in running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back