St Leger

Wasn't going to get involved in the race with Sea Moon 11/8, 6/4ish.

I'm very tempted to take the 2/1 now. Surely he'll go off shorter?

Whacked into Sea Moon via a cash point at my local Ladbrokes on the way home (as I too believe he'll go shorter tomorrow). With the 7s I've already taken I'm averaging about 9/2 now.

The only other possible positions I'd be interested in now are place bets on the likes of Seville, Masked Marvel and Census and match bets with these against Blue Bunting (...sorry EC).

Blue Bunting is supernap material imo, is bred to stay at least as well..if not better than Sea Moon..the fav is way too short..BB should be favourite and represents bet of the season status

dip yer bread..because when she wins ...it will be.."how the hell did she go off that price"

BB by about 3 lengths;)

Good to see you back old boy, but Nooooooooooooooooo.... We’re talking about a 1,000 Guineas winner that has been on the go since, being better bred for the Leger than a (fresh) colt that’s by a son of Sadler’s Wells and Wemyss Bight and out of Eva Luna (by Alleged) who has already given birth to a St Leger winner in Brian Boru... in what parallel universe does this make Blue Bunting a good thing in this or any other season?:confused:

Blue Bunting is supernap material imo, is bred to stay at least as well..if not better than Sea Moon..the fav is way too short..BB should be favourite and represents bet of the season status

dip yer bread..because when she wins ...it will be.."how the hell did she go off that price"

BB by about 3 lengths;)

I'm balls deep in BB!!

Good to see you back old boy, but Nooooooooooooooooo.... We’re talking about a 1,000 Guineas winner that has been on the go since, being better bred for the Leger than a (fresh) colt that’s by a son of Sadler’s Wells and Wemyss Bight and out of Eva Luna (by Alleged) who has already given birth to a St Leger winner in Brian Boru... in what parallel universe does this make Blue Bunting a good thing in this or any other season?:confused:

that looks like a plodders pedigree to me Steve;)..and the ground is already a concern by connections..they are praying for rain..2/1 about a horse who won't relish fast ground isn't good sense to me.

you seem to think BB won't stay as well as SM..and yet her last run where she did all her running in the last furlong at a stiff track showed she will relish this..the breeding is all well and good..but BB has shown on the track just how good she is. BB has staying breeding..it may not be as flashy as SM..but she already has shown her ability at the highest level..SM hasn't..so the breeding in SM's case looks good but it isn't on the track yet anywhere near BB's record.

in my universe..a horse with her ability..is always the bet over one like SM ...you are just guessing how good SM is...not really a recipe for 2/1 shot on a surface feared by those that know the horse

Last edited:
No it's a real good race. I can see the favourite being/1 on the day.

You heard it here first. The days of having a bet without inside information on non-runners the week leading up to a big race are gone. Wait until the day.

Last edited:
Good to see you back EC1 by the way. The forum is rocking this weekend compared to last week.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think the faster ground will actually be in Sea Moon's favour.
He's a colt with a notable change of gear, whereas Blue Bunting is more of a grinder. and the last of that ilk to win a St Leger was Scorpion - on a grinder's surface.

In a change from my usual tactics I have been busy doing cash bets this morning.Decent bet on Sea Moon at 2s small each way on Buthelezi at 100/1 and Blue Bunting at 7/2 to show a small profit.All prices guaranteed with double result.

The sectional times for both horses at York make interesting reading.

Similar ground on both days..ish;)

Sea Moon wgt 8-12
first 7f = 91.70.
last 5f = 63.24

Blue Bunting wgt 8-11
first 7f = 91.94
last 5f = 63.40

those splits show Sea Moon the better horse..he ran both splits just faster than Blue Bunting...a length in each split near enough.

i find that quite interesting as they were saying on the morning line that the overall time for SM were nowt special..the splits show at those weights that SM would have beat BB.

Today 2lbs extra on Sea Moon could wipe out that advantage..and the ground also puts question marks up.

so purely on those two runs and at todays weights its close..at 12f:)

BB has no ground doubts..has the extra 2lbs pull..will stay ...so to me there should be very little between these two in the betting

Class act Sea Moon, always held in high regard at the yard -think he will take a world of beating today..

Last edited:
Class act Sea Moon, always held in high regard at the yard -think he will take a world of beating today..

BB is also a "class" act though..whatever that means

if its earnings per start then BB has a little more class

BB eps = £91,181
SM eps = £26,768

how do you define class..and how would SM have more than BB?

BB is also a "class" act though..whatever that means

if its earnings per start then BB has a little more class

BB eps = £91,181
SM eps = £26,768

how do you define class..and how would SM have more than BB?

not doubting BB at all, done little wrong this season, and showed at York her battling qualities, just think Sea Moon will have too much for her today.. hope he is left in training as a 4 y-o reckon he will be a major player 2012, lightly raced as he is...

Fran Berry can hold his head high again - no longer is he the worst jockey ever to ride the St Leger. Well done mr Peslier - I think retirement beckons.

A real attritional race, that. Masked Marvel loved it. Sea Moon had an awful passage in the straight. Blue Bunting looked in trouble quite early. Seville ran well but probably a touch too close to the pace - might have placed otherwise.

I had monster lays on SM in running because this is one of my worst races. Like last year a winner that will be forgotten about in three weeks.

Back