The 2023 Longshot Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do WHill no longer do BOG? I’ve not been having many bets recently and tend to bet the day before and get enhanced odds. I assumed that, if I had my bets on the day I’d still get BOG but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Apologies for the aftertiming but I backed the Pipe horse ew and, thankfully topped up my bet when I noticed he’d gone out to 100/1. Is anyone doing BOG?

Pretty sure the WH BOG kicks in after 10am on the day. Lads & Coral often go BOG the day before. It isn't notified at oddschecker but if you access the odds via the RP card [the day before] it usually shows those two going BOG.

Just tried to place a bet at Chelmsford and BOG isn’t on the betslip. Still says on the website it’s available. Might email them…

Pretty sure the WH BOG kicks in after 10am on the day. Lads & Coral often go BOG the day before. It isn't notified at oddschecker but if you access the odds via the RP card [the day before] it usually shows those two going BOG.

Ladbrokes is only on the day (as is standard, with times differing from 8am to 10am across bookmakers). Coral are always BOG on UK and Irish racing as soon as markets are priced up after final declarations (the only major bookmaker to offer this after B365 changed to on the day).

888 used to be available from about 1am but they are discontinuing BOG. Rumours that more may follow suit.

Ladbrokes is only on the day (as is standard, with times differing from 8am to 10am across bookmakers). Coral are always BOG on UK and Irish racing as soon as markets are priced up after final declarations (the only major bookmaker to offer this after B365 changed to on the day).

888 used to be available from about 1am but they are discontinuing BOG. Rumours that more may follow suit.

I'll check next Friday and do a screenshot if it suggests otherwise.

Left his side miles behind and would have won with a low draw.

My figures have done well (adjusted to 118 or more):

[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Horse[/TD]
[TD]OR[/TD]
[TD]MON
118[/TD]
[TD]Notes[/TD]
[TD]BO[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] King's Lynn [/TD]
[TD]99 [/TD]
[TD]120[/TD]
[TD]e N d[/TD]
[TD]25/1[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Hyperfocus [/TD]
[TD]89 [/TD]
[TD]120[/TD]
[TD]e[/TD]
[TD]33/1[/TD]
[TD]4[SUP]th[/SUP] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Gweedore [/TD]
[TD]100 [/TD]
[TD]119[/TD]
[TD]p[/TD]
[TD]20/1[/TD]
[TD]3[SUP]rd[/SUP] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Aberama Gold [/TD]
[TD]98 [/TD]
[TD]119[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]25/1[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Summerghand [/TD]
[TD]104 [/TD]
[TD]118[/TD]
[TD]125[/TD]
[TD]14/1[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Montassib [/TD]
[TD]101 [/TD]
[TD]118[/TD]
[TD]?[/TD]
[TD]12/1[/TD]
[TD]1[SUP]st[/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Albasheer [/TD]
[TD]100 [/TD]
[TD]118[/TD]
[TD]+[/TD]
[TD]13/2[/TD]
[TD]5[SUP]th[/SUP] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] The Ridler [/TD]
[TD]100 [/TD]
[TD]118[/TD]
[TD]?[/TD]
[TD]50/1[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Aleezdancer [/TD]
[TD]94 [/TD]
[TD]118[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]14/1[/TD]
[TD]6[SUP]th[/SUP] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Mr Wagyu [/TD]
[TD]92 [/TD]
[TD]118[/TD]
[TD]128[/TD]
[TD]16/1[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Rousing Encore [/TD]
[TD]90 [/TD]
[TD]118[/TD]
[TD]o e d[/TD]
[TD]66/1[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Just checked the result again. Gweedore was five lengths clear of the next home on his side, King's Lynn.

RP race comment on Gweedore: "... did well in the circumstances."

Balmoral Handicap - Graignes is actually getting on a bit now aged 7 approaching 8 years of age. He is plenty lightly raced enough in this country at least, and did race abroad when having a stint with E O Neill.
However, he placed in this very race, the Balmoral, three years ago, running as a colt back then, when rated some 12lbs higher than what he is now, off a mark of 104.

I think he is rated 93 for this, so might be 1lb out the handicap proper, but I'm not fussed about that. The biggest concern right now is he is the third reserve, but with all this rain due, perhaps there's just a chance he will get to race.

He actually ran well in the Cambridgeshire, despite the finishing position, when he faded a furlong out over the 1M1F distance. Racing Post comments say. "Raced far side, led group, led overall over 1f out, headed and no extra inside final furlong, 4th of 7 in group".

That's good enough for me, and over a furlong shorter on ground he may prefer, I fancy backers could get a good run for our money. He's a french bred aswell so there might be a fair chance he will act well in a potential bog. He could trade shorter in the run on the exchanges, If, and it's a big IF, three horses above him in the race are withdrawn.

Let's see.

Last edited:
Balmoral Handicap - Graignes is actually getting on a bit now aged 7 approaching 8 years of age. He is plenty lightly raced enough in this country at least, and did race abroad when having a stint with E O Neill. However, he placed in this very race, the Balmoral, three years ago, running as a colt back then, when rated some 12lbs higher than what he is now, off a mark of 104.

I think he is rated 93 for this, so might be 1lb out the handicap proper, but I'm not fussed about that. The biggest concern right now is he is the third reserve, but with all this rain due, perhaps there's just a chance he will get to race.

He actually ran well in the Cambridgeshire, despite the finishing position, when he faded a furlong out over the 1M1F distance. Racing Post comments say. "Raced far side, led group, led overall over 1f out, headed and no extra inside final furlong, 4th of 7 in group".

That's good enough for me, and over a furlong shorter I fancy backers could get a good run for our money. He could trade shorter in the run on the exchanges, If, and it's a big If, three horses above him in the race are withdrawn.

Let's see.

I agree. He was one of my outsiders that day and sickness insurance is in order.

What's the cut off time for non runners and reserves to run, DO?

Is it tonight or something like midday tomorrow?

I haven't a clue.

Any info appreciated from anyone .

Last edited:
What's the cut off time for non runners and reserves to run, DO?

Is it tonight or something like midday tomorrow?

I haven't a clue.

Any info appreciated from anyone .

Anyone? Would really like to know!

Don't know exactly but the three reserves have all been taken out of the betting and declared as non runners in the last 2 hours.

I could back non runners for Great Britain at the moment.

What's the point in having the reserves if you are not going to give them until the morning of the race to take someone's place.

Most non runners tend to happen on the morning of the race.

The law is an ass.

No doubt this is to make life easier for the old enemy in some obscure way aswell.

I was all over Graignes each way tomorrow.

They'll probably be no non runners anyway. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Two against the field in the Sprint:

Run To Freedom 22/1, 4 places - second last year and in the July Cup this year to Shaquille (the best sprinter in the country).

Art Power 33/1, 4 places - dynamite at the Curragh but 'won' his side in this race in soft the year before last. Hoping they fly him down via Dublin...

Run To Freedom 22/1, 4 places - second last year and in the July Cup this year to Shaquille (the best sprinter in the country).

Art Power 33/1, 4 places - dynamite at the Curragh but 'won' his side in this race in soft the year before last. Hoping they fly him down via Dublin...

What a shout, took 55 on Betfair!!

:whistle:

Decided I can't let Bennetot, 40/1, 6 places, go unbacked. O'Meara with an ex-French, the type he has a knack of improving.

I may have an interesting one for the Melbourne Cup - Virtuous Circle 100-1 plenty (although 66 WH and B3, + haven't looked at any Aussie bookies).

Not much more than 110 BF, with the risk ofc being he goes off 160+ on the day.

Two races mark him out in particular. Both where he ran from pretty much last a fair amount of the way.

1 mile Australian Guineas 4th March
We know that top class Aussie horses can often mix it from 8f to 16f without turning a hair (they must have been studying Goldie tactics, or maybe he's been studying them!). But if you watch the race, VC was settled close to last. Off the home bend he was scrubbed to improve, but looked to me that he was outpaced and just didn't have the pace to go with the top class milers. Very minorly hampered when two on the inside came down around a furlong out, he's still well back and making no impression.

Watch the winner take off like a rocket in the last 50 yards, and glance in behind. There's our boy in light green, finding his feet, and ultimately only the winner and he were finishing fastest. Another furlong and VC may well have won it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rATMSgy0i-w

Australia Derby 1st Apr

Run on heavy ground. Settled near last again until making headway at the bend into the straight. Had to come 6 wide for all of those couple of furlongs where he's circling the field, try to challenge down the middle of the track, and the only one looking like he might get to the winner on the rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAHJ_GIYf_U

So, 12f on heavy, Group 1, ran further than anybody else, and wasn't far off winning. All suggesting that 2 miles on good (as the forecast suggests it should be) should be well within capability.

Indeed, you can look through the runs and the distance progressions and come (perhaps mistakenly, perhaps correctly) to the conclusion that Liam Howley has had this in mind for some time, possibly Circle's whole racing career (although looking back at past interviews, he never mentioned it, but did make a point of noting that gradually going up in distance when the horse was strong enough to take it was his main intent).

Mum was a Group 2 sprinter, only had 2 runs. Mum's Dad not far off a Group 1 miler. Sire Almanzor a French Derby winner.

I'll stick my neck out and suggest that Vauban and Absurde won't get within 5 lengths. The Aussies don't know, Gold Trip is an obvious danger. Soulcombe, too. Have a suspicion the other Almanzor (Atathbascan) can run a race at a big price, but not sure he'll get to line up.

The question is....is he still a bit young and possibly not quite mature enough?

100-1 (and maybe bigger on the day) is a nice enough play to find out. If the intent is to run, and nothing goes wrong, he seems sure to line up.

Edit, just found this...

"It's David versus Goliath for sure but we are here to take them on.

"But I think at his best he is better than half the field and that's all you've got to be.

"I wasn't put off by the Geelong Cup and felt he had genuine excuses," Howley explained.
"He just didn't settle that great and I don't think he does his best work ridden like that and didn't let go late.
"I am happy to rule a line (through that run), he's come out of it well and is nice and bright.
"Had he drawn a wider gate (in the Bart Cummings) and been able to get clean air at the right time, his run looks a lot better and he's in the conversation.
"He has given me that feel this prep, at the start of the prep I thought a truly run 2000 metres but as the prep has deepened, he has really settled into that real staying mould."
Howley's final decision will come after a course-proper gallop at either Bendigo or Kyneton on Thursday morning.

I would suggest from those comments that Howley is confident enough the $100k profit (after the $58k for keeping him in is taken off) is there for the taking by getting in the first 12. Let's hope he comes out of the gallop OK on Thursday, and then steps up a level.

Last edited:
Interesting argument, chaumi.

On RPRs, the top six are priced between 25/1 and 150/1.

Add the next one point in the ratings and you encompass a 20/1 shot and a 200/1 shot as well as Soulcombe (10/1, which I fvckin backed for the Ebor at 25/1 after he won the Melrose and he's something like a stone higher now).

At this point, it wold would seem there's no shortage of potential value.

Ascot 2.05 - The Last Day 20/1, 4 places - I haven't studied any racing for today but I did have high expectations of this one last season and it wasn't until his final run at Aintree that he started to show signs of life. If he's come on again over the summer he could be dangerously well handicapped.

Ascot 2.05 - The Last Day 20/1, 4 places - I haven't studied any racing for today but I did have high expectations of this one last season and it wasn't until his final run at Aintree that he started to show signs of life. If he's come on again over the summer he could be dangerously well handicapped.

I’m following you in on this fella. Has to have a chance of making his presence felt off 135 if he’s fit and the current 22/1 (bigger elsewhere but only to 3 places) makes plenty of appeal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ascot 3.45 - Flegmatik 22/1 and Coeur Serein 50/1 ew against the field for the sake of an interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back