The Road to the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2014

Japanesse learning after losing the arc last year in the trials.

I will be at baden baden to supervise the mighty horse this sunday.

We met her at Newmarket [she bred It's Gino] and I thought, if you were into German racing you might know her. I meant to contact her but can't make out the email address she gave me; I wish I'd known more about It's Gino when she told me about him.

sea the moon beaten by iwanhowe. excuses will come no doubt but it's looking a wide open and possible below par arc.

i wonder if 'the lads' will be tempted to run australia.

Emm bubble burst.

If it comes up decent ground then maybe they could be tempted. Especially as Ascot will most likely be soft.

Who do we think Pricewise will stick for the Arc next week?

not seeing that tbh..horse has been off for two months..many horses need to blow the cobwebs away after two months off..does anyone think it was 100% today...with biggest race coming up

hopefully the price will treble if others view it in that way..in fact..yes..bubbles burst..should be 50's

from RP

Even though this is being used as a stepping stone to the Arc, and he had a ´tiny problem´ after his most recent success

Last edited:
Not written him off. 'Emm' means has it burst. Was expecting a bit better even if it was a 'prep'. 10s at Lads. Go and pile in then EC.

Last edited:
treve favourite after the season she has had says a lot. and does give us some value elsewhere for me.

if she wins well next week it will be even moreso i'd imagine.

It was a dismal run for a horse of his supposed calibre, even if only half-fit.
For mine, he won't have the speed for an Arc unless it's on desperate ground, and no surprise to see him a NR on better.

Last edited:
The Jockey Club distance reduction hasn't helped the race. Struggling off the top of my head to remember the last really good French 3yo 12f colt.

Rail Link

in truth we don't know how good Monmartre might have been

Last edited:
It was a dismal run for a horse of his supposed calibre, even if only half-fit.
For mine, he won't have the speed for an Arc unless it's on desperate ground, and no surprise to see him a NR on better.

2nd in G1 after taking a hold and a 2 month break behind it..we must have differing views about the word dismal

if it was so dismal..how come he isn't 25/1 now?

It was my first time seeing the German horse-thought he definitely got very tired and I wouldn't be laying him at double figures for Longchamp.

He's still a big talent but the signs of mental immaturity would put me off backing him for this year's Arc. Running with his head between his knees for much of the way made it really difficult for his jockey. And given the way he sweated up today I don't think he'll cope too well with the parade ring at Longchamp.

Ran an RPR of 112; 10lb short of his best, 16 shy of Australia, and 17 below the average Arc winner.
17lb needs a whole lot of excuses, imo.

Bago finished 1 length behind Prospect Park..a G3 horse ...then improved the necessary to win the big un

I think there is a mindset that wants to see a horse win the race before the Arc..when a horse doesn't..its deemed an automatic strike off..just on that one run.

It takes me back to Soba as a 3yo..when she won a string of improving races early season..then before the Stewards she lost one..her form read something like 111110...but before the 0 she was ante post fav for the stewards cup..then on the day..i think if i remember correctly started at 18/1..and peed in

Rodrigo De Triano..another one..4th in Greenham....To Agori Mou..2nd in Craven

there are loads actually

the last race is so important to punters....so important...best to look a bit deeper than 11111 imo.

Last edited:

Nothing shrewd about it really, they did the same with Novellist. Sadly injury prevented him from going any further.

The 10/1 with Lads is a must take price IMO. Will be shorter on the day.

Treve looks a different horse this year and a below par run on Sunday could see the curtain bought down early? Taghrooda surely might swerve the race if there's any rain?

I think Pricewise will go for Chiquita. Odds will plummet if she runs well in IRE this weekend.
I fancy her, too if they've ironed out her quirks. Kingston Hill if he misses Leger and it's soft in France would be interesting. Her style of racing makes me think Avenir Certain will get the trip

Back